August 20th, 2014

Bush takes plunge, challenges Clinton

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush took the ice bucket challenge, and is now challenging his predecessor in the White House to follow in his footsteps.

In a video posted on his Facebook page, Bush takes a soaking from his wife, former First Lady Laura Bush, and then nominates former President Bill Clinton to take the challenge.

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker']

The challenge is raging this summer on social media, as people get doused with a bucket of ice water in order to bring awareness – and raise money – to combat amyotropic lateral sclerosis, better known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Politicians get soaked

$15 million pours in from ice bucket challenge

"Thanks to Jenna Bush Hager, Rory McIlroy, Woody Johnson, and Coach Jim Harbaugh for the #IceBucketChallenge," wrote Bush on his Facebook page.

In the video, Bush said "to you all who've challenged me, I do not think it's presidential for me to be splashed with ice water, so I'm simply going to write you a check.”

Moments later, after she pours a bucket of ice water on top of her husband, the former first lady said "that check is from me. I don't want to ruin my hairstyle."

Bush then called on Clinton to get wet, saying, "Now it's my privilege to challenge my friend Bill Clinton to the ALS challenge. Yesterday was Bill's birthday and my gift to Bill is a bucket of cold water."

Celebs embrace ice bucket challenge

Bush's successor in the White House so far has decided to stay dry. President Barack Obama has declined to take the challenge, but instead has made a donation to an ALS charity, according to the White House.

Bush's chilly dunking was arranged, in part, by his daughter Jenna Bush Hager, an NBC "Today" show correspondent.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • George W. Bush
  1. Chris..E.Al

President Bush remember one thing You will have to loan Bill the money ? Snicker Snicker .

August 20, 2014 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. smith

@Rudy-Your hot dog comparison to using military force has to be your dumbest rebuttal yet. However, I`ve come to expect that of late.

August 20, 2014 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. Evaris

Why is no one challenging me?

August 20, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. Tom l

Rudy NYC says:
    August 20, 2014 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm
    I think this whole challenge thing is not making a whole lot of sense, at least not to me.. I think the challenge should be donate the challenged amount, or take the ice water shower so that the challenger donates the bucks.

I wish that I could put up my 1%, $100, to Mitt Romney’s 100%, $10,000.
    -–

I don't know one person that hasn't done the challenge and then donated. I would say I know upwards of 75-100 people that have done this, then challenged another. I know, I know. Without the govt telling us what to do nobody would have any idea.

August 20, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I wasn't a big supporter of Bush during his Presidency, but this is a class act by him, and it's really discouraging to see our current President not participate in such a great cause and probably one of the most successful internet foundation campaigns to date. Obama needs to remove his I'm to good for this attitude and help support an incredible cause that this challenge has brought. Even if Obama doesn't donate, by having him take part would help in the overwhelming growth the of awareness of ALS. If this was an effort to increase gun control, Obama would be all over it.

August 20, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  6. Pimpylapoo

@ Chris al. – Epic .

August 20, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. Ed Desautels

Next up: "Enhanced ALS challenge."

August 20, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  8. Justin Bebier

Bush loves water-boarding!

August 20, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  9. simple logic

So an oilman turned president leaving office with his personal wealth raised expotentionally? And you thinks its a joke, they think your personal wealth is the joke. It was your tax dollars too, if you researched all the no bid contracts awarded to these clowns companies, you just? might not laugh long.

August 20, 2014 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. simple logic

Anon, now what would you have said if he did take the challenge, see our point? You would have made some mindless rant against it, if you don't think so, here's your sign!

August 20, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  11. Peter Gerdeman

Ah, Shrub is taking a bath – kinda like millions of Americans did during his presidency. Enough of any PR articles of this guy, please.

August 20, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  12. Peaceforever

Doing the ice bucket chanllenge to raise money for ALS is great thing. Kudos to the people who helped to raise the donation. They should get a break from chanllenging others to do that same. If the others are chanllenged to do the same, they don't have to. They can just donate money. If people are doing good things at a good cost, that means a lot to the world. Also, I want to make a comment about International Peace Day on 21 September, it is every year on that day. If anyone wants to help to spread the word for Peace, Please make a comment on you social media page, Pread the word for Peace, God Bless!

August 20, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. Rudy NYC

Tom l

When did I ever say I don't choose sides? The difference is that sometimes I choose positions that are on the right and sometimes I choose positions that are on the left. That is entirely different from someone like you, Sniffit, rs and Rudy. You are always on the left. Hard-core. And you also think that the politicians on the left care about you. I, on the other hand, know that they couldn't care less about any of us. They only care about their wallet and about their power.
    ------------------------------
    I don't always take what you call a "left hard core" positions. That's your stereotypes talking, your notorious false assumptions and your presumptively broad brush talking. Don't try to deny it, either. You came on here asking ridiculous questions that pretty much had the same theme, "why do liberals always [fill in the blank]?" You think that anyone who disagrees with you is a hard core liberal. There's no in between with you. No such thing as a moderate view. Only absolutists think like that, tom, and every absolutists that I've ever met has been a right wing extremist.

I'm pretty much middle of the road, common sense all the way. The problem is that the right has moved so far away that everything and everyone else looks like a hard core liberal to them. Again, it's your right wing extremism, tom, that makes everyone else look like a hard core liberal to you.

August 20, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

smith

@rs-We used military force in Bosnia to remove a dictator. Gee, we used military force in Iraq to remove a dictator. At the end of the day its still the same thing.
    ---–
    You're living and breathing in a different world from the rest of us. So, if I crash someone else's picnic and eat a hot dog, and then if I go to a hot dog truck for a hot dog, then in both cases it's "just lunch." Got it.
    ---–
    Pretty horrible comparison / analogy, Sparky... even for you.
    =========================================================
    Uh. Are you talking to me or "smith"? Smith thinks that the Somalia and Iraqi operations were one and the same.

August 20, 2014 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

smith

-–
    -–
    Pretty horrible comparison / analogy, Sparky... even for you.
    =========================================================
    ---------–

August 20, 2014 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  16. anthony

to the people who criticize Bush on this. Atleast he did something for a good cause not like you just open your stinky mouths

August 20, 2014 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. Me

I literally came here to read the comments... only to be disappointed. Not many people going after Bush as I thought there'd be. Come on... someone say something about 9/11 conspiracy or how he did something that you didn't like and will never forgive him...

Commmmeeeee on.... It's a slow day at work.

August 20, 2014 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. Drbcool

At last! A chance to tell Bush Jr to go soak his head.

August 20, 2014 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

smith

---------------------------------
    Good grief. That was the whole point. It was *supposed* to sound at least as dumb as your own argument.

August 20, 2014 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  20. just saying

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....
    He damn sure works harder than you. Anyone that thinks being the POTUS is easy is insane. Especially with half the country praying you fail.
    ---

yeah, all those vacations, golf outings, celebrity events and campaign fund raisers really do take a toll on a person.

and as the entire nation has discovered, nobody needs to pray that obama fails. he just does it automatically all on his own. that whole highly intelligent Harvard graduate law scholar messiah thing was just more smoke and mirrors from obama and the democrats.

August 20, 2014 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

Fair posted:

"I'm speaking to you, Rudy NYC. This hot dog response makes one wonder if you have all your french fries in your happy meal."
    -------------------------–
    Someone else made that same, exact french fries joke yesterday, but they didn't post it under the name "Fair is Fair."

August 20, 2014 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Tom L posted:

"I don't know one person that hasn't done the challenge and then donated. ... ..."
    ---------------------------------------
    Double negatives can blur the true meaning of what you write, but the last part must have come out wrong. It says that you do not any person who dumped ice water on their head and donated. I'm just the messenger, but that's what it says.

August 20, 2014 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  23. smith

@Rudy-In your attempt to defend Clinton you pointed out that you think there is a difference between starting a conflict and joining in one. Im just pointing out that Clinton did the same with regards to Somalia.

August 20, 2014 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

smith

@Ol`Yeller-Your missing the point. My point is both Dems and Repubs have used military force why call only one out? Btw, I`ll raise you one. The Veitnam war had 10 times more US troops killed and 10 times more non-combatants killed and the US entered that war by direction of a Democrat. Shall I go on?
    -----------------------------------
    The Civil War had times the numbers as the Vietnam War. As civilization has progressed, so has access to better medical treatments for battlefield wounds has progressed. Please, do continue. You're not making any sense again.

August 20, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  25. jase pro

That was pretty neat Mr. President, we all like you and you know it, way to go!

August 20, 2014 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |