August 20th, 2014

Bush takes plunge, challenges Clinton

(CNN) - Former President George W. Bush took the ice bucket challenge, and is now challenging his predecessor in the White House to follow in his footsteps.

In a video posted on his Facebook page, Bush takes a soaking from his wife, former First Lady Laura Bush, and then nominates former President Bill Clinton to take the challenge.

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker']

The challenge is raging this summer on social media, as people get doused with a bucket of ice water in order to bring awareness – and raise money – to combat amyotropic lateral sclerosis, better known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Politicians get soaked

$15 million pours in from ice bucket challenge

"Thanks to Jenna Bush Hager, Rory McIlroy, Woody Johnson, and Coach Jim Harbaugh for the #IceBucketChallenge," wrote Bush on his Facebook page.

In the video, Bush said "to you all who've challenged me, I do not think it's presidential for me to be splashed with ice water, so I'm simply going to write you a check.”

Moments later, after she pours a bucket of ice water on top of her husband, the former first lady said "that check is from me. I don't want to ruin my hairstyle."

Bush then called on Clinton to get wet, saying, "Now it's my privilege to challenge my friend Bill Clinton to the ALS challenge. Yesterday was Bill's birthday and my gift to Bill is a bucket of cold water."

Celebs embrace ice bucket challenge

Bush's successor in the White House so far has decided to stay dry. President Barack Obama has declined to take the challenge, but instead has made a donation to an ALS charity, according to the White House.

Bush's chilly dunking was arranged, in part, by his daughter Jenna Bush Hager, an NBC "Today" show correspondent.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • George W. Bush
  1. sansooman

This idiot has the nerve to show his face in public after the multiple calamities he's caused in America and the Middle East. SMH!

August 20, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  2. JeffC

Instead of the Ice Bucket Challenge they should have had him do the Water Board Challenge.

August 20, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. Rockymtnhi

This whole challenge is stupid. They wouldnt do the same to give all equal health insurance, they would to the same to put the money back in Socical Security and Medicaid, they wouldnt do the same to fix the actual medical system needed for persons whom have illness....but give millions and billions away without accountability....OH LETS DO IT !!

August 20, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Premal D.Shah

I am unable to think of anything except the fact that Bush sent 4500 soldiers needlessly to their graves!

August 20, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. maddog7676

Obama can't even take a stand on The ALS Challenge. You know he is ultimately going to do it. But he is just sitting back now, equivocating probably, like he's spent 6 years doing.

August 20, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. Tom l

middle of the road, common sense all the way. The problem is that the right has moved so far away that everything and everyone else looks like a hard core liberal to them. Again, it’s your right wing extremism, tom, that makes everyone else look like a hard core liberal

---

Smith, while the hot dog analogy was dumb, this one truly takes the cake.

Ok, Rudy, give me one position that you agree with repubs on.

August 20, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. Duck Fallas

Rory McIlroy is a great American.

August 20, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. J.A. Dillinger

This is why we were better off with Bush in office. He is the leader we need.

August 20, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. smith

@Rudy-The numbers game was started by Ol` Yeller. Even if the medical conditions were the same in Iraq as they were in Veitnam there still would be way more killed and wounded in Veitnam. Your making a facile argument.

August 20, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

smith

@Rudy-In your attempt to defend Clinton you pointed out that you think there is a difference between starting a conflict and joining in one. Im just pointing out that Clinton did the same with regards to Somalia.
    --------------------------–
    LOL. I wasn't defending Clinton. I've been making you look like a fool by simply giving you room to talk.

August 20, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  11. E

Where's the ice?

August 20, 2014 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

smith

---------------------------------------–
    Didn't you notice that I took your own argument and used it against it you? Criticize me, and you criticize yourself.

August 20, 2014 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. Walt

How big of a donation did GW Bush pledge, if Bill Clinton takes the icy plunge?

August 20, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. Jeff Brown in Jersey

maddog7676

WRONG! The President said he would not do it, but would support the cause financially. Either you are stupid, or believe Faux "News" lies.

August 20, 2014 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

smith

--------––
    --------
    Rudy Tactic 28-672263 – make an unsubstantiated statement.

August 20, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  16. just saying

E
    Where's the ice?
    -–

it's texas, it's summer, you figure it out!

August 20, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. Lumpy Rutherford

@Chris..E.Al
    President Bush remember one thing You will have to loan Bill the money ? Snicker Snicker .

What planet are you living on?

August 20, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

Ok, Rudy, give me one position that you agree with repubs on.
    -------------------------------–
    Amnesty for immigrants. I do not buy into the "you're breaking up families" argument when it comes to deportations. No one complains about breaking up families in the case of a family member being sent to for long sentence at far away federal prison for some type of crime. Yet, when the crime is being here illegally, suddenly it's breaking up families. Nope, I don't buy into it.

It was *you* who was fully aware of the risks of being in this country illegally, and it was *you* who put your family at risk, not the laws.

August 20, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

Fair posted:

--–––
    --–
    Rudy Tactic 28-672263 – make an unsubstantiated statement.
    ===========================================================
    I think "smith's" willful ignorance and/or stupidity has been thoroughly proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

August 20, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. Ever Notice...

Hey smith and Tom I – Ever notice when you, smith, revealed that you were ex military and you, Tom I, revealed you were Jewish, that the vitriol from the "gang" went to new heights? It is a well known fact that most Dems/Libs hate the military and Jews. So don't take it to heart...it is in their nature and their racism. Just saying!

August 20, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Looked like warm water to me!!! Need ice in there, sir!!

August 20, 2014 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  22. Ben Hammer

Who cares what Dubya does? He's a criminal who should be locked away forever with his buddy Cheney.

August 20, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  23. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Fair posted:

––––
    ––
    Rudy Tactic 28-672263 – make an unsubstantiated statement.
    ===========================================================
    ---------
    Hmmmm... I thought name calling was the admission of the loss of an arguement? By your own metric, you lose.

August 20, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  24. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Ever Notice...

August 20, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
    *********************************************************************************************************
    A well known fact? Known to whom?

August 20, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. tom l

Did Rudy just say that amnesty for illegals is a repub position??

August 20, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |