Reid cracks Asian jokes, apologizes
August 22nd, 2014

Reid cracks Asian jokes, apologizes

Washington (CNN) – Harry Reid, who faulted his 2010 Republican opponent for making an insensitive remark to Asian-Americans, cracked two Asian-themed jokes at a Las Vegas event Thursday.

"I don’t think you’re smarter than anybody else, but you’ve convinced a lot of us you are," the Senate Majority Leader said to laughs from the audience at a Las Vegas Asian Chamber of Commerce event.

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker'][twitter-follow screen_name='danmericacnn']

Later in the video, which was sent to reporters by the Republican research group America Rising, Reid said, "One problem that I’ve had today is keeping my Wongs straight."

Reid issued an apology for his remarks on Friday, releasing a statement that said, "My comments were in extremely poor taste and I apologize. Sometimes I say the wrong thing."

Back in 2010, Reid and his campaign pounced on a racially insensitive remarks that Sharon Angle, his Republican opponent, made about Asians.

Angle told a room full of Hispanic school children that "some of you look a little more Asian to me."

The comment, which came in response to a student who asked Angle why all her commercials portrayed illegal immigrants as Latino, helped to define the race and Angle's dismal campaign.

At events after Angle’s remark, Reid joked about the remarks while painting Angle as out of touch, undisciplined and extreme.

"As I look out over this crowd, I really don't know what my opponent was talking about," Reid told an audience. "Because you all look like Nevadans to me."

Reid went on to defeat Angle in the November general election and maintain his perch atop the Senate.

The Asian community in Nevada has been rapidly growing and is expanding its political clout in the swing state.

Filed under: Harry Reid
  1. Sniffit

""Can you give us an example of Harry Reid playing the race card?"
    ––

Really? Did you read the article where it talks about how he did just that with Sharon Angle? But I guess that wasn't really playing the race card, he was just being factual. Right Rudy?
    "

Yawn. Dude got called on it and apologized. When you call a GOPer/Teatrolls on it, they yell "race card" and "you're the REAL racist...you race hustler." If you can't tell the difference, then you might be an enabler.

August 22, 2014 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Tony D

Come on Harry! Now tell us all how you really feel about the Blacks and Latinos too! Let it all out. It'll be good for you and coming out of the racist closet will set you free.

August 22, 2014 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. smith

@Rudy-How about after the Hobby Lobby ruling. Remember what he said about the Supreme Court?

August 22, 2014 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. Fair is Fair

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

In Senator Reid's defense.... He did say it in front of the Asians and not behind their backs. Take a chill pill people, it was a joke. If I got offended at every black joke I'd be offended all the time. People make them all the time.
    ---------
    Really? If Harry Reid was at a meeting of the NAACP and made some remark about, oh I don't know, hoping that they didn't run out of KFC at the luncheon, you wouldn't be insulted? Really????

August 22, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. riff raff

You righties are just mad at CNN for running articles about millions year old dinosaur bones, didn't they get the memo, the earth is only six thousand years old!! Must be difficult being a rwnj, so much BS to carry, day in, day out.

August 22, 2014 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. tom l

Oh Sniffit, now come on. Rudy asked when Harry Reid had played the race card before. I simply told him that in the article there was an instance of Harry Reid playing the race card. Can't be more simple than that.

But, of course, you will excuse it because he has a "D" next to his name so you don't freak out. You excuse it. The funny thing is that you are the enabler. By choosing one side and extolling their virtues, you enable people like Reid and Co. to do/say whatever they want and you will be fine with it. You even admitted that you were perfectly fine with Obama lying to the country because it supposedly enabled 20 million to get insurance. So, for you, it's ok if a democrat lies because of all the good they do. If that's not enabling, I don't know what is. In the immortal words of Sniffit, but with a little twist, It's Okay If You're A Democrat.

August 22, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. aaron

I'm curious if other races have jokes about white people.

August 22, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

tom l

"Can you give us an example of Harry Reid playing the race card?"
    ––

-------------------------------–
    Why don't you let "smith" answer the question? BTW, I missed that part of the article. Show it to us, please.

August 22, 2014 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Fair is Fair says:
    August 22, 2014 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm
    Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross…..

In Senator Reid’s defense…. He did say it in front of the Asians and not behind their backs. Take a chill pill people, it was a joke. If I got offended at every black joke I’d be offended all the time. People make them all the time.
    —————————
    Really? If Harry Reid was at a meeting of the NAACP and made some remark about, oh I don’t know, hoping that they didn’t run out of KFC at the luncheon, you wouldn’t be insulted? Really????

Completely different scenario Fair. Senator Reid made a joke about the name Wong. Now if he had asked where the egg rolls and wantons were that would be different.

Btw, I'm no KFC fan, but Popeyes is a different story.

August 22, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. Redme

@ wake up my my you should be in the center
    of the tent at a 3 ring circus yelling come one come all hurry hurry hurry
    if you had a D.L you would make a good 1 ?

August 22, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Name uche agonsi uche agonsi

lts always better to get it right than apologising. ..the older you are the less comforting the apology. Some mis-statements are behavioural pattern of well liquefied souls.

August 22, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  12. tom l

Rudy NYC

tom l

"Can you give us an example of Harry Reid playing the race card?"
    ––

-----------–

=======

You chime in all the time when I address "smith" or "Lynda" or "Wake Up" or "Dominican Mama for Obama" or "rs" or....

So since, for some reason, you have a reading comprehension issue, here's the part in the article:

August 22, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  13. I wonder...

I wonder if Harry Palm's turkey neck flaps around when the wind picks up? Gobble Gobble!!

August 22, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

smith

--------------------------–
    Strike one. Example, please.

August 22, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Gurgyl

Why not some one take JA to a nice psychiatrist? He has thinking problem.

August 22, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. Sniffit

" I simply told him that in the article there was an instance of Harry Reid playing the race card."

Except he wasn't playing "the race card." He was making an objective observation about Angle's cluelessness and insensitivity about race. You call it the race card in order to undermine it and because you don't take it at all seriously. At least when he got called for being clueless and insensitive about race, he recognized it and offered a real apology for it. Again, therein lies a big difference.

August 22, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. Smitty

@Say What, and to think that's their strong points !! Nicely stated.

August 22, 2014 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"But, of course, you will excuse it because he has a "D" next to his name so you don't freak out. You excuse it. "

I don't excuse it. I say it was clueless and insensitive (I believe the shorthand I used in my first post was "dumb") and at least he apologized. You have a real problem with mischaracterizing what other people are saying. Do you have any idea how much further it would get the GOP/Teatrolls if, instead of throwing arm-waving, foot-stomping hissy fits about "the race card" and "race hustlers" and fighting it tooth and nail every time someone points out their objective observations of the racism that runs rampant through the GOP/Teatrolls' ranks and agenda, they actually said "you know what, you're right...we've got a real problem and we're sorry and we're going to do everything we can to fix it"? Instead, we get page-long screeds about the imaginary persecution of the white Christian male. Good luck with that. Please proceed, enablers.

August 22, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

tom l posted:

---––

=======

========================================================================
    Strike two. Example, please. I have no idea what Hobby Lobby comment you could possibly be talking about.

August 22, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. Sniffit

"You even admitted that you were perfectly fine with Obama lying to the country because it supposedly enabled 20 million to get insurance. "

Yeah, way to read something ridiculous into a tongue-in-cheek comment board post, champ. /golfclap

August 22, 2014 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Since they're moderating my response to you Fair, I'll try again. Senator Reid made a joke about the name Wong. There are a lot of Asians with that name. Now if he had made a reference to wantons and egg rolls, I could understand being offended.
    Just like assuming all blacks eat chicken and watermelon. Now that's offensive.

I don't like KFC. I'm partial to Popeyes.

August 22, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. Fair is Fair

"Btw, I'm no KFC fan, but Popeyes is a different story."
    -------–
    Yeah... I'll definitely second that. Dee-lish.

August 22, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. Olan Johnson

Why is the Justice Dept.in Ferguson looking for racism when they have it right under their nose in the Democrat Senate Leader?! Time for Holder to send 50 of his investigators to look over Harry Reid.

August 22, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Redme says:
    August 22, 2014 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm
    @ wake up my my you should be in the center
    of the tent at a 3 ring circus yelling come one come all hurry hurry hurry
    if you had a D.L you would make a good 1 ?

Typical red state education system at it's best....

August 22, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. just saying

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

you should stop hanging out with those racists and find a better grade of people.

August 22, 2014 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |