Reid cracks Asian jokes, apologizes
August 22nd, 2014

Reid cracks Asian jokes, apologizes

Washington (CNN) – Harry Reid, who faulted his 2010 Republican opponent for making an insensitive remark to Asian-Americans, cracked two Asian-themed jokes at a Las Vegas event Thursday.

"I don’t think you’re smarter than anybody else, but you’ve convinced a lot of us you are," the Senate Majority Leader said to laughs from the audience at a Las Vegas Asian Chamber of Commerce event.

[twitter-follow screen_name='politicalticker'][twitter-follow screen_name='danmericacnn']

Later in the video, which was sent to reporters by the Republican research group America Rising, Reid said, "One problem that I’ve had today is keeping my Wongs straight."

Reid issued an apology for his remarks on Friday, releasing a statement that said, "My comments were in extremely poor taste and I apologize. Sometimes I say the wrong thing."

Back in 2010, Reid and his campaign pounced on a racially insensitive remarks that Sharon Angle, his Republican opponent, made about Asians.

Angle told a room full of Hispanic school children that "some of you look a little more Asian to me."

The comment, which came in response to a student who asked Angle why all her commercials portrayed illegal immigrants as Latino, helped to define the race and Angle's dismal campaign.

At events after Angle’s remark, Reid joked about the remarks while painting Angle as out of touch, undisciplined and extreme.

"As I look out over this crowd, I really don't know what my opponent was talking about," Reid told an audience. "Because you all look like Nevadans to me."

Reid went on to defeat Angle in the November general election and maintain his perch atop the Senate.

The Asian community in Nevada has been rapidly growing and is expanding its political clout in the swing state.

Filed under: Harry Reid
  1. Chris..E.Al

@ Wakeup im glad we did run out most of those dems sporting the white hoods in bama but nothing has really changed with the dems however they do still have that mind set if you just think about it . Thats about all you write about is hate anyway day in day out fun fun ? I may disagree but i dont hate thats where we differ .

August 22, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Well, well, well. Fair and I agree on something!!! Have a great weekend lady!!😊😊

August 22, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Sniffit

"But, of course, you will excuse it because he has a "D" next to his name so you don't freak out. You excuse it. "

I don't excuse it. I say it was clueless and insensitive (I believe the shorthand I used in my first post was "dumb") and at least he apologized. You have a real problem with mischaracterizing what other people are saying.
    --------------------------
    It's worse than that. He keeps mischaracterizing what he's saying. He keeps changing the subject: i.e.; the fund raising off of Sandy Hook comment from earlier.

August 22, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. tom l

Rudy NYC

smith

@Rudy-How about after the Hobby Lobby ruling. Remember what he said about the Supreme Court?
    --------––
    Strike one. Example, please.
    ====

He said "“The one thing we are going to do during this work period, sooner rather than later, is to ensure that women’s lives are not determine by virtue of five white men,” Reid said. “This Hobby Lobby decision is outrageous and we are going to do something about it. People are going to have to walk down here and vote.”

What makes it even funnier is that apparently he now feels that Clarence Thomas is white.

August 22, 2014 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

Chris..E.Al

-----------------------------
    Yeah, the "dems" changed into Republicans, and have recently traded the hoods in for tricorns.

August 22, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. tom l

Rudy NYC

tom l posted:

Really? Did you read the article where it talks about how he did just that with Sharon Angle? But I guess that wasn't really playing the race card, he was just being factual. Right Rudy?
    -––
    Why don't you let "smith" answer the question? BTW, I missed that part of the article. Show it to us, please.

=======

You chime in all the time when I address "smith" or "Lynda" or "Wake Up" or "Dominican Mama for Obama" or "rs" or....

So since, for some reason, you have a reading comprehension issue, here's the part in the article:

========================================================================
    Strike two. Example, please. I have no idea what Hobby Lobby comment you could possibly be talking about.
    ===

I never mentioned a Hobby Lobby comment until just now. And why are you copy and pasting only part of it? I guess when you lose the argument, like you are now again, you decide to take some childish antics and then say "oh, I was just joking" or something ridiculous like that. I also know that you keep trying to push the meme that smith and me are the same but clearly you're too caught up in what you want to say to realize that smith and I have very different views on several topics...Iraq probably being the biggest one. Wow have you been desperate and losing a lot of arguments lately.

August 22, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. tom l

Rudy NYC

Sniffit

--------–

====

I guess it's ok to start drinking a little early on a Friday afternoon. I have no idea what you're talking about here. You really seem all over the place. Are you ok, buddy?

August 22, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. it must be said

Sniffit
    ---
    "You even admitted that you were perfectly fine with Obama lying to the country because it supposedly enabled 20 million to get insurance. "
    ---
    Yeah, way to read something ridiculous into a tongue-in-cheek comment board post, champ. /golfclap
    ---

"Sniffit, number 0000, ten post penalty for illegal use of the Rudy "it was sarcasm"/"I was just joking" gambit when caught neck deep in lies and hypocrisy."

August 22, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

. You have a real problem with mischaracterizing what other people are saying.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Indeed she does Sniffit.
    But in all fairness, it is not just Fair is Fair that suffers from this malady, it appears to be a rampant problem amongst the RWNJ Usual Suspects.

August 22, 2014 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. John Brown

Any this guy thinks the Redskins name is offensive?

August 22, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

aaron

I'm curious if other races have jokes about white people.
    -----------------------------------------------------Bwahahahahahahahaha!!
    What do you think?!
    ROFLMAO!!

August 22, 2014 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

tom l

Rudy NYC

smith

--–––
    Strike one. Example, please.
    ====

============================================================================
    Sarcasm is pretty funny, isn't it. Where's the race card? If anything, which is quite a stretch, one would accuse Reid of trying to play the gender card, not the race card. Because the truth of the matter is that five similarly thinking "white men" did make the decision.

August 22, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Rudy NYC says:
    August 22, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm
    Chris..E.Al

—————————————————————————————
    Yeah, the “dems” changed into Republicans, and have recently traded the hoods in for tricorns.

Isn't he cute? He actually thinks we don't know about the Southern Democrats and the Dixiecrats.....

August 22, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. smith

@Rudy-Really? Reid said five white guys should not make choices about contraception for women. Which was stupid because one of SC members who ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby was black. Homerun!

August 22, 2014 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

====

===========================================================================
    Let me refresh your memory, then.

"tom l posted:

"Someone on the ticker is now a fundraiser? I never knew. Plus, once again, apparently it's not amoral to you when dems were fundraising off of Sandy Hook. That was perfectly fine to you.

August 22, 2014 11:17 am"

August 22, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Tom l

============================================================================
    Sarcasm is pretty funny, isn’t it. Where’s the race card? If anything, which is quite a stretch, one would accuse Reid of trying to play the gender card, not the race card. Because the truth of the matter is that five similarly thinking “white men” did make the decision.

---

Clarence Thomas is white now? And sarcasm doesn't work here. It's childish and lame. It also shows that you guys are finally realizing how desperate you really are and how bad things are going for "your side"

August 22, 2014 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Chris..E.Al

Cnn knows i have never made a racist comment . Just because your white and fr bama does not make you auto racist . Most folks know that what happen years ago to our black friends and the sad dog like treatment they suffered was tragic and just plain wrong and shameful . It was wrong . Its time to move on for a better tomorrow We cant change what those fools did yesterday . Must work it out 0 .

August 22, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  18. (D)umbasrocks

Dominican mama 4 Obama

aaron

I'm curious if other races have jokes about white people.
    -----------------–Bwahahahahahahahaha!!
    What do you think?!
    ROFLMAO!!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You should hear my Dominican jokes. Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

August 22, 2014 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

A black guy a white guy and an Asian guy walked into Popeyes Chicken...

Ha ha. Actually that happened the last time l was there. Looks like chicken is universally loved!☺️☺️

I just thought I'd inject a little humor into the mix. 😊

August 22, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Wilson

@Rudy NYC

Hagel's correct. It's just taken over a decade for someone in government to admit it. When Bush toppled Saddam in 2003, many Arab states were abuzz with talk like, "Do you know what the U.S. has just let out of the bottle?" They've known about radical Islamists for generations. It's why some of the Middle East governments have always ruled with such a firm hand. They were keeping a tight rein on extremist groups like ISIL.
    ---------------
    The only time I can remember that you have written anything that I agree 100% with, It did start with Iraq but was continued with Egypt and Libya as well as being attempted in Syria.. I must mark this day on my calendar.

$

August 22, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  21. Tom l

Rudy NYC says:
    August 22, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm
    It’s worse than that. He keeps mischaracterizing what he’s saying. He keeps changing the subject: i.e.; the fund raising off of Sandy Hook comment from earlier.

====

I guess it’s ok to start drinking a little early on a Friday afternoon. I have no idea what you’re talking about here. You really seem all over the place. Are you ok, buddy?
    ===========================================================================
    Let me refresh your memory, then.

“tom l posted:

“Someone on the ticker is now a fundraiser? I never knew. Plus, once again, apparently it’s not amoral to you when dems were fundraising off of Sandy Hook. That was perfectly fine to you.

August 22, 2014 11:17 am”
    ---

That was in the Scott Brown article. You accuse someone else on the ticker being amoral for fundraising off of the beheading of the journalist. I merely pointed out that you had no problem with fundraising off of Sandyhook. And the only person that was apparently fund-raising off of this was a commenter on the ticker. You really are confused today. Go back and read the comments in order to see how silly you look

August 22, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  22. Fair is Fair

Dominican mama 4 Obama

. You have a real problem with mischaracterizing what other people are saying.
    -----------------–
    Indeed she does Sniffit.
    --------–
    Ummmmmmmm... I had nothing to do with the post. Do try to keep up.

August 22, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. Tommy G

It looks like Harry Reid is showing the size of his brain in that picture. But it might be his IQ now that I think about it. This guy is a disgrace in so many ways. Don't the Democrats have somebody that isn't a senile buffoon they could name leader?

August 22, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. Gurgyl

-Lizzie, infamous 47 percent remarks? This is the reason he lost big. Did you know? Or you think Mittens is in WH? Wake up, lizzoo.

August 22, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  25. Sniffit

"Whoa! There is a flag on the play! Let's listen to what the referee is calling....

Not sure what you're getting at. It's pretty tough to argue that someone was being 100% serious in the post I made that tom was referring to, particularly in light of it's brevity. But hey, generally, lying and wrongdoing are judged by the severity of their consequences. Pointing out that you guys are having a real hard time finding ways to turn Obama's lie into severely bad consequences...in light of all the data showing that the ACA is actually starting to work pretty well...is a fair point. Comparing it to the atrocities that resulted (and continue to result) from Dubya's big lie is also a fair point.

August 22, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |